It seems that yesterday was National Sleep Day and I missed it. Maybe you missed it too! Considering how important a good night of sleep is to our overall health I think we really need more than one day per year devoted to sleep.
Following the hectic holiday season we are all a little overtired during the first week in January. If it seems to be taking you more than a few days to get back into your normal routine without excessive daytime tiredness you may want to check to see if an undiagnosed sleep disorder could be stealing your energy.
Good sleep hygiene is important for a good night of sleep every night so here are a few tips:
- Make sure your sleep environment is comfortable and cool
- Use a good pillow that supports your head and neck
- Try a white noise machine to help you relax
- Avoid caffeine late in the afternoon and evening and don’t drink alcohol before bed
- Watch your fluid consumption in the evening so you don’t have to wake in the night to urinate
- Stick to a regular bedtime
- Don’t use the bedroom for work or watching TV
Obstructive sleep apnea is a sleep disorder that causes the sleeper to stop breathing during sleep. If you snore loudly, experience excessive daytime sleepiness, have morning headaches and are having difficulty losing weight you may have obstructive sleep apnea. For more information about sleep apnea and available treatment options please contact your Columbus area sleep medicine dentist Dr. Mark Levy at StoneRidge Dental Care at 614-476-6696 today.