Do you know the warning signs of gum disease? Even if you brush and floss every day you could still be at risk. Some health conditions and medications can make you more susceptible to gum disease. Patients with diabetes or Sjogren’s Syndrome fall into this category. If you are taking any type of medication that causes “dry mouth” your risk is also increased because of reduced saliva flow.
What can you do? Continue with good home care, brushing and flossing really helps. Remember to visit your dental hygienist regularly for professional cleanings.
Most importantly keep an eye out for these signs of gum disease:
- Bleeding gums when you brush or floss
- Gums that are sore, swollen or tender to the touch
- Gums that seem to be receding from the teeth
- Bad breath or a bad taste in your mouth
- Changes in the alignment of your teeth or teeth that feel “loose”
Gum disease can be treated and you can maintain a healthy smile for life. Please contact cosmetic dentist Dr. Mark Levy at StoneRidge Dental Care in Gahanna, OH today at 614-476-6696 to schedule your next dental hygiene visit.